The Muppet Show is a half-hour variety show in which Kermit the Frog and the Muppets put on a weekly musical/comedy revue at the Muppet Theater. Unfortunately for them, things never quite go according to plan, for the Muppets or their weekly guest stars.
While Kermit had been featured extensively in other programs in the past, this show marked the introduction of a large, varied cast, including the hapless comedian Fozzie Bear, the diva superstar Miss Piggy, the lunatic daredevil artiste Gonzo, the wild drummer Animal, the unintelligible Swedish Chef, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker of Muppet Labs, and many others. Their performances consistently fail to entertain the old curmudgeons Statler and Waldorf, who provide a running commentary of wise-cracks.
The action in each episode was balanced between the on-stage acts and the frantic activity backstage. The concept was reminiscent of old-time radio shows like The Jack Benny Program, where the star struggled to put on a weekly show amidst personal problems and an often uncooperative cast.
Other televised AppearancesEdit
- The Muppet Show Crossovers
- Fictional worlds crossing over.
- Several Muppet characters from previous productions, including Beautiful Day Monster appeared during the first season of Sesame Street.
- Kermit the Frog made numerous appearance on Sesame Street from 1969 to 2001 and made one more new appearance on Elmo's World: Frogs in 2009.
- Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy, Sweetums,, Bossmen, some Muppet birds, Doglion Beast, Mean Mama,, Fletcher Bird, and Besty Bird appear in Here Comes the Puppets!.
- Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy, Gonzo,, Scooter, Floyd Pepper, Bunsen Honeydew, Beaker, Rowlf the Dog, Sam the Eagle, Robin the Frog, Lew Zealand, Beauregard, the Swedish Chef, Pops, Lips, Dr. Teeth,, Animal,, Statler and Waldorf, Link Hogthrob, Camilla, Zoot, Penguins and Chickens appear together in I Love Liberty.
- Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo,, Janice, Scooter and The Swedish Chef in People's Choice Awards.
- Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo,, Janice, Floyd Pepper, Dr. Teeth,, Rowlf the Dog, Scooter, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Beaker, The Swedish Chef and Statler and Waldorf appear together in Night of 100 Stars.
- Kermit the Frog on Reading Rainbow.
- Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo,, Janice, Floyd Pepper, Rowlf the Dog, Scooter, Sam the Eagle and Rizzo the Rat in The Television Academy Hall of Fame.
- Miss Piggy interact in Free to Be: a Family.
- Rowlf the Dog appear in the Dog City special.
- Gonzo,, Statler, Sweetums,, Doglion, Beautiful Day Monster, Luncheon Counter Monster, Droop, Shakey Sanchez, Frackles, Penguins, Chickens, Singing Food and Lobsters appear in The Cosby Show episode "Cliff's Nightmare".
- Kermit the Frog appeared in Billy Bunny's Animal Songs.
- Sam the Eagle guest-stars on an episode of The Animal Show.
- Kermit the Frog in Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium.
- Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Animal, and Chickens on Good Luck Charlie.
Other live AppearancesEdit
- Although they never appeared on stage at the same time, Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo,, Janice, Floyd Pepper, Dr. Teeth,, Zoot, Rowlf the Dog, Scooter, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Beaker, Statler and Waldorf, Mahna Mahna and The Snowths appeared in Jim Henson's Musical World.
- Miss Piggy appeared on stage in 2013 at the announcement for a Jim Henson gallery for the Museum of Moving Image.